Thursday, October 30, 2008

Undecided.

It was the end of the day and I was on my way home. The darkening fall sky framed buildings and cars in a soft evening light. I slumped down in my seat and leaned my head against the cool glass window of the bus. We pulled up to a stop at a light and I glanced outside towards a grey concrete apartment complex.

A flash of movement caught my eye and I looked up to the roof where I saw a large man in a black puffy jacket pacing near the edge. His hands were stuffed deep in his pockets and his hat was pulled down low over his face. He would take a step to the edge, look over and then turn back away. I watched him do this three times, each with a longer pause at the precipice.

The stoplight finally changed to green and the bus pulled away as the man turned back from the edge once more.

No comments: