Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Grisham novel it was not.

I wish I had something much more interesting to write about my day as a possible juror at the Superior Court of DC. But really, the highlight of my day was eating lunch at the Cosi across the street during the two hour lunch break we were given. (Have you tried the wasabi beef sandwich? It’s quite good.)

Here is a brief overview of what I did today at the court:
I stood in a line.
I stood in a different line.
I waited in a room.
I was divided into a group of sixty and stood in a line.
I was re-divided into a group of thirty and stood in a line.
I waited in a different room.
I had a two hour lunch break.
I waited in a room again.
I spent 45 seconds answering questions from the judge and the two attorneys about my suitability as a juror.
I waited in the same room.
At 5:30 the jury was selected and I was told I could go home.

And even though I was not even considered for this trial, most likely I would have been kicked out anyway. It turns out that the (alleged) crime was committed about four blocks from my house. My legal advisor/roommate says that would have been enough to keep my off the jury even if I had been called up.

So I guess I did my civic duty and should be pleased that I was a part of civil society. I’m just happy to have gotten a lot of reading done. In a strange coincidence I received my jury summons the same day that I started reading a book about the Gulag system. It made for interesting reading at the courthouse.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Was it THAT crime??!?! Holy crap.

Adam said...

No, the wheels of justice don't move that fast. This was a weapon possession charge over close to Lydia's house.

Anonymous said...

southEAST!!