Monday, February 4, 2008

Without a hat in the world.

When I tell people at work where I live, I always get the same reaction. Their eyes get big and then they say something like, "Oh, well that neighborhood is really starting to get better. It used to be even worse." Amber asked if I lived near the 'not-so-Safeway.' Of course I do. In fact, that's where I made my very first friend in DC, Ms. Nita.

Ms. Nita has nails so long that she can barely press the buttons on the register at Safeway. They curl over at the ends so that she has to angle her wrist back to hit the keys. Her nails slow her down and her line is the longest in the store, but everyone who knows wants to have Ms. Nita as their check-out clerk.

I place my Safeway ClubCard on the scanner. "Oh honey, Ms. Nita doesn't like that. That almost dropped on the floor. And then what? Ms. Nita would have to pick it up, that's what."

I'm sorry Ms. Nita. I won't do that again.

"That's okay sweetie. How are you today? I'm fine, I love this cold weather. I'm a real cold weather person. I tell everyone, but they don't believe me. I leave my windows open all winter. But look at you. I bet you're cold today. Where's your hat? A young person like you outside without a hat? What would your mother say?"

No comments: