Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Protocol.

President Bush was at my building today. Two time Governor, Ed, was sworn in as the newest Secretary of my department. (I won't go into my opinions about what it must be like to be appointed to a job in the very last year of a two term president's term.) The president was here to give a speech to an invite only crowd in our auditorium.
I was not invited.
But I did receive a slightly menacing email that informed me of the heightened security measures that I would be facing. Aside from the usual ID badges that must be worn at all times, I was not allowed to go near the auditorium or the hallway that the auditorium is on. I was not permitted to be on the street near the auditorium. I was not permitted to send or receive packages near the auditorium. And finally, if I had a window that faced the courtyard near the auditorium, I was to close my window shade and stay back from the window. This security policy was in effect from 6am to 12:30pm.
By sitting at my desk and working, I was able to follow all of the security protocol without incident. Presumably the President gave a rousing speech and then swore in the new Secretary. I'm hoping that high fives were exchanged, or at least some sort of akwardly long hug.
At 12:30 exactly my computer screen blanked out and a department wide notice was posted. "The earlier security protocol is over. Please resume your normal work day."

No comments: