Monday, February 11, 2008

In the seat of Senators, Judges and Jive-turkeys.

I went to Haircuts by Charlie today. I got my haircut. By Charlie.
Charlie was the barber for the Senate for thirty years. In 2000 he was asked by Justice Scalia to be the barber for the Supreme Court. He was there until 2004 when he retired from government haircutting and opened his own shop.
Haircuts by Charlie is a simple neighborhood shop with straightback chairs and a pile of Newseeks on the table for waiting costumers. Charlie still sees many of his clients from the Senate as well as the Supreme Court. And he still treats his clients just like he did when he worked for the government.
“Everyone thinks they're more important than the next guy. People always come in and try to cut in line, saying something like, 'But I'm on senator so-and-so's staff.' Like that impresses me! Everyone is on some senator's staff. That's why they work in the Senate!
“Now of course I make exceptions for the Senators and Judges. When they come in they get priority, but for everyone else, you have to wait your turn.”
I got a chance to see Charlie's policy in action. The phone rang while he was cutting my hair. It was a lobbyist who wanted to be seen immediately.
“Well, then you need to make an appointment. I already have an important client in my chair right now. No! I will not bump him out. This man has places to go today and he is already in my chair. You can make an appointment just like everybody else.”
Charlie hung up the phone with a snort. “These jive-turkey lobbyists think they can do whatever they want. I'm the proprietor of this shop. I make the decisions.”
I told Charlie that agreed with him, and I made sure to get his card when I left. I wanted to make sure that I made an appointment the next time I came in.

No comments: