Monday, February 11, 2008

Ersatz.

The thing about culture shock is that it sneaks up on you. I've been home for months and I'm used to the weather and working a full time job and all of the endlessly bad fashion. But every now and then I find myself struck by just how dumb things can be here. (And don't get me wrong, most of my emails from Micronesia discussed just how dumb things were there. In fact, now that I think about it maybe I'm the one with the problem. No, that couldn't possibly be it.)
Either way, I scared the clientele of the not-so-Safeway this weekend when I broke out into laughter in front of the margarine case. It just seemed so funny to me that there could exist a dozen different kinds of artificial butter substitutes. How could I even explain to my family on Kosrae what non-dairy butter-flavored spread with calcium was?
I could tell that laughing at plastic tubs of fake butter spread was making the other folks in the store uncomfortable, so I grabbed the closest yellow container and threw it in my cart.
By the time Ms. Nita was scanning my food in the check-out line, I was back to being just another anonymous shopper.

No comments: