Monday, January 19, 2009

Wishful Thinking.

It was beautiful out today, sunny and in the upper 60’s. And as I’ve been sitting in planes and hotels and offices for the past few days I decided to go for a run. While I was out I had time to ponder this: When you build a heavily fortified city within a city that is large enough to house thousands, the responsibility for naming streets has to fall to someone.

And as I made my laps around these streets I wondered what had inspired some of the names. Main Street and Broadway both seemed like safe choices, and the abundance of large reinforced concrete walls made Wall Street seem like a logical pick. Madison Ave had me a bit confused but it was Peachtree Street that really threw me. Perhaps this was wishful thinking or maybe just nostalgia for home, but I have yet to see anything resembling a peach tree anywhere around here.

As the sun started to set behind the walls I rounded the corner of Sunset and Bourbon for the last time and thought about heading to the bar after my shower.

No comments: