Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Updated.

A quick update on the street names here:

I spoke to one of the guys who was on the committee for coming up with the street names and he explained that they are all named after famous streets in different American cities. Suddenly the intersection of Sunset Blvd and Bourbon Street makes a lot more sense. He said that Peachtree is a famous street in Georgia.

(Don’t know what I’m talking about? Scroll down a few paragraphs to the entry titled “Wishful Thinking.” Don’t care what I’m talking about? Click on that little ‘X’ in the upper right hand corner of the screen.)

He also said that the original plan was to name all of the streets after local provinces, but that was struck down as sounding too colonial. This confused me. Why would naming streets after local provinces be considered colonial but naming them after American streets be acceptable? I think I’m probably not understanding some sort of history lesson or something here, but I’ve found that it’s better just let these things go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, this answered some good questions, but now I just want to know more! how many people are on the committee? do they vote on the names? how do they get on the committee? how do they choose which cities? etc. :)

Adam said...

Those are some good questions; and I don't know much. He said there was some pretty vigorous debate about the local vs. American names issue. He's not a very important guy around here so I would guess he just volunteered to be on the committee.

Pata Fria said...

Maybe it would be most colonial if we started naming *their* streets after ours.

Ahmed Kazari
1234 Cherry Tree Lane
Baghdad, Iraq 23980

Thoughts?

Adam said...

Well yes, that is true.

I guess taking over the entire country and setting up a provisional government that we controlled for a few years was a wee bit colonial too; so I'm not really sure why they're splitting hairs over street names.