Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Redux.

While on hold with the body armor manufacturers, again:

“At _____ Armor, we manufacture a variety of products possessing threat defeating capabilities that exceed those specified by the US military. Our explosive blast resistant window casing applications are just one more example of our latest in safety and threat resistance products.”

This gave me time to peruse the website and learn more about the world of ‘high threat physical security products.’ I learned the difference between low-spalling armored glass and no-spalling armored glass. I learned about the V-50, or the theoretical velocity at which a given projectile is going to penetrate ballistic material 50% of the time and be defeated by armored material 50% of the time. I learned about blunt force trauma and about the difference between ballistic vests and penetration resistant vests. And while I did not follow the link for the article "Window Response Comparison of Open-Air and Shock Tube Testing" which is published by the Department of Defense Explosive Safety Board, I felt like I had learned a lot while listening to classical music over the phone.

Finally, Greg answered my call. I was calling just to check on the status of the vest that I had ordered a few weeks ago. It took Greg a few seconds to recall who I was.

“Oh, you’re that little guy that needs a small vest for Pakistan .”

Uh, well the vest is not actually for me and it will be used in Afghanistan . But yes, I did place an order a few weeks ago. Do you have an estimate for the delivery date?

No comments: