Thursday, March 13, 2008

At work.

Howard’s been in my office four times already today. He’s looking for Carla, one of my office mates. She is in a meeting, a fact that I’ve relayed to Howard each time that he comes in, but it does not seem to register with him. I’ve even offered to alert Carla that Howard is looking for him as soon as she gets back. But Howard prefers to return every twenty minutes and physically examines her workspace for signs of life.
Howard has dark black hair that is starting to grey at the temples. He sometimes wears white running shoes with suits. He is not well liked. Mostly this is because Howard is nosy. At all times, Howard must know what people are doing and for what reason.
The first time that I tell him that Carla is in a meeting, he immediately asks me where the meeting is, what it is about, and why Carla is there and he is not. I know the answers to all of these questions, but I don’t like Howard either. I shrug at his questions and reply simply, “She’s at a meeting. I’ll tell her you are looking for her.”
I go back to my desk with the knowledge that Howard and I will replay this scene every half hour until Carla returns.

No comments: