Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pinstripes and Hiking Boots.


I had my first day at my new job today. Normally this wouldn't be much of a big deal, but it also happened to coincide with the first real snow of the winter. We got about 5 inches last night and when I got up this morning the street hadn't been cleaned at all. (For my friends in Madison and Tahoe and other snowy areas, please allow me to explain: DC is not in any way equipped to deal with snow. There was much speculation that the government would shut down due to this storm. I know that 5 inches doesn't really constitute more than a dusting, but here in DC it means that people can't drive or leave their homes.)

The previous administration might have shut down for something like this, but our new President is from Chicago and isn't scared by a little bit of snow. So I put on my new suit and an old pair of hiking boots and headed down the street just like L. Paul Bremer. Well, maybe not anything like him at all.

No comments: