Friday, April 25, 2008

Symbols.

From June '07
It took us about two hours of bickering, but at long last the group had decided on a logo for the Kosrae Chamber of Commerce. A bird’s eye view of the island with a rainbow encircling the whole thing; the motto, business helping business, surrounding the outside.
Singkitchy cleared his throat to make a point, “You know, sometimes pictures can symbolize things. Rainbows for instance, carry a lot of connotations. I think it’s important that we all agree on the rainbow.” Murmurs of agreement circulated the table.
Fred announced that a vote should be held to decide. Singkitchy raised his hand and spoke again, “I think we all know what rainbows symbolize, and I think we can all agree that it would really benefit the Chamber of Commerce to be associated with this symbol.”
I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Kosrae is an incredibly conservative Christian island. All of life revolves around the church. And now here was a man who was a Deacon in the church suggesting that the Chamber of Commerce would benefit from adopting the symbol of gay pride.
I started to tell Singkitchy that I was really impressed with his progressive attitude but he cut me off, “You see Adams , after the 40 days and 40 nights of rain God made a rainbow in the sky to show Noah that He was happy. Now God makes rainbows over Kosrae to show us that He is happy with us. Now what were you about to say?"

No comments: