Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Serving, protecting, etc.

Without fail I hear police sirens on my street every night. I don't actually see a lot of crime taking place, but I feel the police presence in the neighborhood. Just the other morning on my way to the metro as I passed the not-so-Safeway I saw the medical examiner van pull out of the lot. It was early and I was running late, so I have no idea why the coroner was at my grocery at 7:30am, but it probably was not to buy groceries.
On my walk back home today I saw a small crowd gathered around a house midway down the street. Three police cars were parked and yellow caution tape was up blocking off a large area around some bushes in the front yard. As I got closer I feared seeing masking tape outlines or pools or dark congealed blood, but as I approached the area I saw nothing. In fact, I couldn't figure out what the police were there for at all. They seemed to be just hanging around, waiting for someone.
Finally, as I passed the group of people I heard one of the police radios beep and come to life, “Animal inspection is on its way. Repeat, animal inspection is on its way.” And of course, that was when I saw it. A huge, buzzing mass of bees swarming around a hive that must have fallen from a tree.
As I am allergic to bees, I smiled at the growing crowd of spectators and kept on walking home.

1 comment:

Mike said...

dude i was WONDERING who got shot. i also kept walking but mainly because i decided fulfilling my curiosity would not be worth it when i got shot in the head.