Sunday, May 15, 2011

After the Invasion.

The last time I saw streets this empty I was living on a little island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The monthly fuel tanker had broken down (or skipped us or didn't pay the monthly bribe or who really knows what happened) and the island very quickly ran out of gasoline.

Within about a week, the road (singular) was almost completely devoid of cars. The local government was able to find enough fuel to run the island's one school bus, and this was used as a makeshift commuter shuttle for all of the government employees.

But the rest of the road was empty. This meant that I could finally ride my bike down the middle of the street, weaving back and forth without a care. On occasion we work ourselves up into questions about a post-oil future, but I'll say that for a few weeks it was quite nice.

Capitol Hill wasn't having a fuel shortage this morning, but several blocks were closed off to traffic for a 10k run. I wasn't officially registered for the run, but I was able to take advantage of the empty streets while I was out jogging on my own. And once again, running down the middle of normally busy streets held a certain charm.

No comments: