Friday, February 26, 2010

Not Exactly a Treatise.

What is a blog but a place to discuss the boring minutiae of everyday life. A place where I can write about the bits of everyday flotsam that mean little to me, and close to nothing to anyone else.

With that preamble, I make no apologies for the following:

After close to four months of earnest searching, I am now the proud owner of my very own cheese grater. I don't know why it has been so difficult to find, I don't know what particular aversion this country has to cheese graters (perhaps an obscure Hadith explains the Prophets' particular views on the topic), but I do know that it's been a near constant search. The past few months have seen me chopping large bricks of cheese into ever smaller cubes, the kind that are suitable for melting into omelets or pasta or any of the other dozens of dishes that are improved by cheese. (And let's be honest, very few foods aren't improved by a smothering of melted cheese).

While vaguely still on the topic of food; this morning I had fresh strawberries with my breakfast. I bought a small plastic case of them for less than a dollar at the store last night. And while I'm sure I should feel guilty about the external costs associated with the production, storage and shipping of this product, I'm mostly just pleased and slightly amazed that I can eat low cost strawberries in the middle of the desert. I don't know where they came from or who picked them, and I don't particularly wish to find out.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I love you so much.

Adam said...

Thanks. I love you too.