Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nowhere Near the Left of the Dial.

I only get three English language radio stations on the alarm clock next to my bed, so every morning I wake up to top 40 country music, beamed out of military base in Europe and somehow bounced around off satellites and into my bedroom.

Perhaps I should mention that I don't like top 40 country music? But this is really nothing more than a daily irritant, something to force me out of bed in the morning. On occasion a song is just so stupid or corny that it actually makes me smile. But it's also very effective, no matter how comfortable my bed may seem, when I am forced to listen to a song called Honky Tonk Badonka Donk, I will get out of bed to turn it off.

And I figured that would be the worst of it. But I hadn't counted on something so vile, so repulsive, so unbearable that I cannot fathom being startled from sleep by it; top 40 country music Christmas songs. A whole month's worth.

I think perhaps it's time to change the station.

No comments: